Trends in design are ever changing, and sometimes it can be hard to keep up. When looking at decor trends, a few things come into play on what is making them poular in that specific palce, and at that specific time. Today, we are focusing on traditional New England decor, with a touch of modern flair. Below are the top 10 trendy pieces of 2016:
1) Stripes, stripes and more stripes! big, bold navy stripes are super in this year. Paired with silver and gold pieces around the room, this sleek look can be both nautical and chic.
2) Rope. Whether it's rope curtain ties or a rope door mat, little accents give off a sailboat-esque vibe and compliment both colored and white decor well.
3) You can never have too much white. White curtains, couches, rugs, coffee tables and more. You name it, and if it's in that Cape Cod cottage white people are putting it in their homes. The great thing about white is you can always add color with your accents liek throw pillows, picture frames and throw blankets.
4) Balls. And lots of them. Up until noww the trends have definitely been New England, but this is one of the more modern tie ins. Recenlty, balls, particularly silver and gold ones, have been making their way into bookends and coffee table ornaments everywhere. They add a touch of moswrn sophistication to a traditional, nautical look.
5) Area rugs. Area rugs over hard wood floors give a room of total dimension. As opposed to wall to wall carpeting, an area rug over hard wood draws the eye in and really ties a room together. Additionally, area rugs can be updated and changed more frequently.
6) Year round wreaths. Add a little greenery to the scenary! A big, luscious wreath of greens tied with a ribbon can pop on a front door or a wall of a room., and add a little happiness to any space.
7) White starfish in the windows. This gets more and more popular every single year. From the inside and the outside, looking through windows with a little white starfish centered in the middle of them adds a New England charm all their own.
8) Chalk paint. Have you seen those pieces of furniture that are new but they look fabulously worn and old? They were painted and finished with Annie Sloan chalk paint and wax, and they are all the rage. As they should be - chalk paint makes just about anything look truly stunning.
9) Knobs! Knobs are huge, and a great way to show your individuality in any room. Trading out the knobs a piece came with and purchasing unique, beautiful ones instead has become a huge trend. Anthropologie and Etsy have great variaties to choose from. It's a quick fix to giving any piece of furniture a facelift!!
10) Coffee table trays. The best way to position a tray on your coffee table is at an angle on the top righthand corner. Keep fun things like your TV remotes, coasters, candles and pictures in your tray to spruce it up. Your tray should be a different color than you coffee table. It doesnt have to be bright, but a contrasting color will really make it pop!